The Indian government has asked Google and Apple to take down short-video mobile application TikTok from their app stores, two sources told Economic Times.
The order of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (Meity) will help stop further downloads, but those who have already downloaded Tiktok will be able to continue using it. It is up to the companies to appeal the order or take down the app.
The move by Meity comes after the Supreme Court refused to stay an earlier order by the Madras High Court to ban the app. The high court had on April 3 directed the Centre to ban TikTok over 'pornographic and inappropriate content'.
In its petition to the Supreme Court last week, ByteDance said it cannot be held liable for actions of third parties on the platform. The 'disproportionate' ban has resulted in infringement of fundamental right to freedom of speech and expression, it said.
A bench headed by the Chief Justice has posted the matter for hearing on April 22, as the Madras high court is expected to hear the case on April 16. TikTok has not yet commented on Meity’s direction to Apple and Google.