This website requires JavaScript.
Daily Briefing

Madras high court lifts ban on TikTok

Apr 25, 2019 by The Passage Team
Madras high court lifts ban on TikTok

The Madras high court on Wednesday lifted the ban on ByteDance-owned short video app Tiktok. The high court had earlier ordered to prohibit the downloads of TikTok, which Google and Apple quickly removed from their respective app stores.

Madurai-based advocate S Muthukumar, the petitioner against TikTok, claimed that the court had asked TikTok to ensure only those above the age of 18 are allowed to download the app and that there is no obscenity in the videos hosted on it, according to a report by Economic Times.

However, TikTok’s lawyer, senior advocate Isaac Mohanlal, said there was no such condition imposed by the court that the app should only be available to those who are above the age of 18.

The high court had banned the app on April 3 for "pornographic and inappropriate content". Last week the Supreme Court refused to stay the ban following which the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (Meity) asked Apple and Google to take down the app. Earlier this week, while hearing a plea by ByteDance, the apex court told the high court that the ban on TikTok would be void unless it comes to a decision by April 24.

As per a Reuters report, the Chinese internet giant said in the court filing that the ban had an adverse impact on the user base of their app, as it had been allegedly losing close to one million new users per day. It also said that an estimated six million download requests could not be effected since the ban came into effect.

The Passage Team

The Passage is committed to creating in-depth content over technology industry across Asia with a focus on emerging startups in the technology, healthcare, education, food, tech, travel & mobility segments.

Follow The Passage Team